Monday, September 29, 2014

Meet the Mormons!

HELLO FROM HESPERIA!!!

WEEK IN REVIEW:
1.Funniest things done: We went to go teach a potential investigator, who is now an investigator, and he had this BEAUTIFUL Pond in his backyard.  We were talking, looking, at all the fish, and he told me that he wants to put Salmon in it, and go fishing.  I told him that would be awesome, and that he should fish some salmon.  He thinks just cause I am from Idaho, that I only fish for food... I am starting to realize people think Idaho is undeveloped, and that we still drive buggies, and have teams of horses, and not cars... Riddle me that one, cause it is NOT like that anywhere in the USA, except in Amish Areas...
2.Biggest Blessing: Hearing the talks about the Temple at the General Women's Broadcast, and having Kathy sitting right behind us.  There were tears shed from both my eyeballs, so you know that it was a lot of tears...  ALSO.  Mom and Dad, don't be mad at me... I lost two things this week that are really important.  1. My personal debit card. and 2. my missionary debit card.  Yes.  The Story is below.
3.Latest project: Getting our apartment all clean, and not an unorganized mess that it has been for the last couple days.  We also are getting it ready for a new companion, because the chances of Sister M staying here for her 7th transfer is VERY slim.
4.Most exciting events: Transfer Calls on Saturday, and then on Sunday we are having a Birthday Party with 2 of our favorite families in the ward for Elder O, Sister M, and myself, because our birthdays are all coming up next week. AND GENERAL CONFERENCE on Saturday and Sunday!!! Woot-Woot!!! I bet they talk about being prepared, temples, missionary work, and families.  But of course, betting is bad, so there will be no reward when I am correct.
5.Favorite game: Nose-goes to who has to say the Prayer when we have meetings with the Elders.  My finger on the nose skills are getting Olympic Gold Medal Worthy. Challenge me.  I dare you.
6.Favorite Foods: Banana Milk.  So good in the Morning. AND Strawberry Muffins. MMMM!
7.Most challenging thing: Knowing that there are things that I need to get done, but that this time in my life I really just need to focus on my Mission.
8. Simple Pleasures: Hearing the Elders give a blessing to a Less-Active, and knowing that it was all the things that she needed that moment in her life.  It really makes me grateful for the Priesthood Holders that I work with, and that I have in my life.
10.Biggest smile: Beth and I saying hello after not seeing each other for 4 weeks.  She was so happy to see us, and we were so happy to see her! We worked with her, and counting money.  She was so happy when she was able to count back my change of $0.32 for the treasures that I was "buying" from her.
11.Biggest accomplishment: Having a lesson with Trent. (the pond guy.) We biked 3 miles in 40mph gusts of wind in 12 mins.  Members told us that we should do this triathlon with them, and we want to, but we wouldn't be able to finish the race, cause we can't get in water... YEAH... That would be awkward.
12. Worst Food: Cheese-It Chicken... Not Good.  Don't try it.  You have been warned.
13. Amount of Miles Biked: umm... I forgot to look. Sorry, but it was a lot.
14: Favorite Quote: Member at Church tells us: "You see that Elder over there, you need to grab him.  Take him on a date.  Look at the birds, the little kids running around. Feel the wind on your face.  Tell him about your faith." Us: "UMMM...  hahah, yeah we can't do that." Her: "I am 79 years old.  I still got it." Us: "hahaha, yeah no sorry that won't happen." Her: "Girls! I know when I see a perfect match, fight to the death for him!" Us: "Haha, yeah no.  Sorry Leah..."  She is a recent-convert from South America, and she doesn't really understand all the rules for missionaries.  It does give us good laughs though.

The new movie that has been a huge deal here, is Meet the Mormons.  We were all worried that this movie was gonna come out, and that the missionaries would have ZERO idea what it was about.  I mean, how awkward would that be, you are talking with a Non-member, and they are talking about this movie, and you just have to nod your head, and pretend you have an idea of what they are talking about.  Yeah, and then we hear that we will be seeing the movie.  But, it will be BEFORE it is released.  We are watching it on the 2nd, and everyone else can see it on the 10th.  We are really excited to be able to tell others about it, and let them know what normal Members are like.  For some reason, most of the people think that Mormons are only those that wear tags, and that they have to wear tags and church clothing at all times.  Yeah, that is not the case.  But this video is really going to bless the members, and those that watch it.  TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO GO SEE IT!!! Also, here is a link to watch the trailer.  http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/meet-the-mormons-movie
Hopefully it works...

Well, like I said, we saw Beth.  She was so excited to see us, and I was really happy to see her too! She really has taught me so much, and she has such a sweet spirit about her.  She knows when someone is down, and how to make them happy.  We took a picture together and it is one of my favorites, because first she is laughing really hard, and she is squeezing me like crazy, and I feel like I am going to die from too much love from her.  and Second. You would also see my awesomeness of wearing a little boys v neck shirt from Walmart.  It looks like a nice shirt, but then I take off the cardigan, and the truth is revealed.  I love cardigans.

 We also meet with Sara and Martha.  They are awesome.  They are what you would call dry-mormons.  They are from Central America.  Moved to New York, and then when 9/11 happened they moved.  The one that is standing up, Sara, was supposed to be on the 110th floor the morning of 9/11, but something kept her on the 5th floor.  She says that she knows she was saved.  I would say that is a miracle.  She loves New York, but says that she will never be able to see it the same that she always has.  It was really sad to hear her talking about her co-workers that passed away, but she knows that she will see them again.  She has been really sick, and just started coming back to church.  I love them both so much.  Martha, has a lot of health problems, and can't really do anything.  She likes to make faces at Sara, when her back is turned.  I really love them so much.  

So yes, I lost my debit cards... Both of my sources of money for food, and other things.  I was freaking out.  I was praying hard, and the cards were nowhere to be found.  I have no idea how I lost them, but they were both GONE! Then, this morning... I was worried cause I needed to get somethings like shampoo, and a toothbrush.  Well, Sister C was over washing her clothes, and she walks in with my missionary debit card.  IT WAS IN THE DRYER! I think it was in my pocket, and then I forgot about it, and washed my clothes, and forgot about it... So then I was worried, but not as worried cause my bank card was still MIA...  I looked in the dryer for the card, and it wasn't there. I prayed one more time, and felt prompted to look in the dryer again.  I didn't want to.  I had already looked there, and there was nothing there. Well, Low and behold, I looked in the dryer again, and it was there!!! I was stunned...  I had looked there before, and it was not there, and then I look again, and there it is.  The Lord blesses us AFTER the trial of our Faith.

We also saw one of my favorite less-actives, Sister P.  She is really sick and has cancer, and is really going through so much.  She weighs about 85ish lbs, and every week she is super sick looking.  Well the other day, she opened the door, and she looked so much better!! I am enclosing 2 pictures of her, so you can see for yourself how much better she looks! Her friend Mona was there, and lives in a city down by the Ocean, but she wants missionaries to come see her there, so we are pretty excited for her!!



  
Sis P and me (before)

Sister P, me and her friend. (After)

Rock Strong Sara and Marvelous Martha

A very funny man who dropped us, but is funny none the less.  He makes things out of wood.

We wore these things for an FHE thing that our ward did while singing Book of Mormon Stories
I love this Gospel.  I love tender mercies from the Lord.  I love the Prophet.  I love Hesperia.  I love the sun, and I especially love the days when there no wind.  I am so grateful for the people that I am meeting out here, and for all things that I am realizing I am blessed with back home.  I love all of you so much, and love all your emails, notes, and letters that I get.  They really are great.  I love the fact that I can email all of you, and see how all my friends are doing out on their missions as well.  I know that the words that we hear from the Prophet this weekend is truly what the Lord wants us to hear.  I know the Book of Mormon is true.  I know that Joseph Smith was foreordained to be a prophet.  I love all of you.  oh.. I already said it. But it's nice to say it twice.  Golly darn it, I am so PUNNY! You all are amazing, and know that I love all of you, and pray for you all the time.  I will strive to be safe this week, and still be my crazy awkward self that I always am.

I might be running behind next week, cause there is a 99.7% chance that Sis. M is getting transferred, and that I will have to go down the hill, and get a new companion.  
I wish that I had tons to say, but all the things that I wanted to say, I put in the list of things above.  

No comments:

Post a Comment