Monday, February 23, 2015

Where has the time gone? 9 months

Well family.  It is here.  The "half-way point".  The "glass half full/half empty".  The "all is downhill" from here.  The "hump".  I am now considered an OLD missionary! If anyone is wondering, I have loved my mission this far, and I love that it is not over.  I am so grateful that I can be out here, and everyday I learn more and more why I was called to this mission at this time.  So many things happened this week, and I am not sure I have enough time or the memory to recall all that happened.

We had times this week where we knew Heavenly Father was there, really looking out for us.  There is some sort of cold/flu going around the mission, and I got it. Again.  I swear I have the most useless immune system in the world.  I feel like every other week I am sick.  But luckily, I have a quick recovery time.  We would only be able to work about half a day before we would have to come home because I couldn't really talk, and I was getting lightheaded.  So those tender moments where we were able to work, we knew were answers to our Prayers. 

1.Funniest things done: I went on Exchanges, and I was with a Tongan Sister, and she took us to a Tongan Family in their ward, and forgot to mention to me all the rules about eating food that is offered to us.  So we are in this house, and they offer me an ice cream bar. It was hot outside, so I took it.  Well then the Mom found some cake.  Not just one cake, but TWO! and gave them to us.  I declined them, and all the kids got quiet, and Sister V told me to just take it.  The Mom said something in Tongan, and Sister V told her that we would have some cake.  The Dad asked if we were hungry, and we said no.  But apparently No is like a bad word or something, because he told the boys to get us food. I still have SO much leftovers, and I am scared that they are going to go bad.  Moral of the Story: Don't tell Tongan families that you don't want food, cause they won't listen to you, and you end up offending them.  By the end though I would consider them friends, and they told me when I come back after the mission to come to their house, and they will feed me till I have to be rolled out of the house.
2.Biggest Blessing: We had a big scare with Candy.  We had a long talk with her, and she was SO close to not being able to be baptized but we talked her out of it.  And now she is 100% on tract to being baptized.  She got a dress from the "I" family, and we are going to the T family tonight so that she can hem it.  I also got a blessing on Tuesday, and the Elder said that I would be healed through out the night, and then the next morning, I felt so much better, and we were able to go out and work for a little bit.  Everyday this would happen over and over, until I was 100%  on Sunday.  The power of the Priesthood is real, and it is so awesome.  I love it.
3.Latest project:  Finding activity.  We are trying to find more people to teach, and on March 9th we are doing a mission wide fast. We are hoping to get all the members of Ward Council and Members in the Ward to join.  President said, "Together we will call upon the powers of heaven to strengthen and unite us as missionaries and members. He will increase our faith in His purpose to "Hasten His Work" and help our Heavenly Father "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."  I am so excited, and I know that Fasting works. See number 4.
4.Most exciting events: Candy fasted by herself! She had a really rough week, and she fasted for strength.  She texted and told us that fasting worked, and that she felt tons better and received the strength that she needed to get through all the things people were saying to her about how she was going to fail as a Mormon.  But joke is on them, cause she is the best, and she will be the BEST member ever.
5. Favorite Game: Playing hide and go seek with Hannah and Nicole.  It always is fun, and so much laughter occurs.
6.Favorite Foods: Tacos and Homemade Guacamole. and REAL Chinese food for Chinese New Year. Dong-she-fats-tsoy. or something like that, means Happy New Year.
7.Most challenging thing: Knowing that no matter how hard you try those you are working with are still being attacked by Satan.  Prayers are the only thing that we can do sometimes, but prayer works.
8. Simple Pleasures: RAIN! It rained a lot, and flooded a little, so we walked! And then we got soaked! see pictures below.
9.Goals: Have the next 9 months of my mission the best they can be.  My goal is to allow Heavenly Father shape me into the person that He wants me to be. That would be the best!
10.Biggest smile: I got a blessing because the cold/flu that I had, knocked me off my feet and we didn't have the time for me to be sick.  I was sleeping and Sister T came in and woke me up to tell me that they were there to give me a blessing.  Well normally when someone gets a blessing there will be 2 elders, and then 2 other sisters.  But not this time, I walked out of the bathroom, and there were 4 elders- the zone leaders and the AP's.  Talk about awkward. Cause I couldn't really talk, and I had such a bad headache that it hurt to open my eyes, so I just sat there with my eyes closed.  The looks on their faces when I walked out was priceless.  I was not in missionary clothes, and I looked like a hobo.  No seriously everyone, it was bad! Good thing that I don't really care what I look like to other people, at least on the mission. haha, 
11.Biggest accomplishment: REACHING 9 MONTHS! Woot-Woot!

12: Favorite Quote: "no. you must eat my food.  That is what the rule is, and you are going to do it." -Tongan Mother


I keep thinking about something I have said a lot but really, how lucky we are to be missionaries.  How lucky I am to be serving in California. How lucky we all are to be able to share the Gospel with all those around us.
I know this church is true.  I know that Thomas S. Monson is leading and guiding us, and I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and knows exactly what we are feeling at all times.  I know that the adversary is out there, but that we can beat him.  It is not the end when he starts influencing us.  It only means that Heavenly Father knows that we can handle it.  I love Heavenly Father  and Jesus Christ.  I love the Upland ward I am serving in.  I love all of you, and pray that you are all doing well!  Hey Kristin and Trevor! GOOD LUCK AT TENNIS! YOU WILL DO AWESOME!  I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Talk to you all next week! XOXOXO
Love, Sister Amber Rietz
Me with Sis. V

No words can describe...

Not here either!

A really wet day!

No comments:

Post a Comment