Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Ceasing to see miracles

1.Funniest Thing Done: Well you think crazy things happen in the desert? Well crazy things can happen in the valley too... When Sister T and I were out and about in Upland, we tracted into a woman that kinda freaked us out.  When we were walking up to the house, Sister T made a comment about how this looked like a desert house, and that we really needed to tract it.  So we did... And it was AWESOME! We were able to talk with her and we gave her the Upland 2nd Sisters number, and gave her a Book of Mormon.  I think that was the first time that the smell of cat pee didn't burn my nose.  That is how you know there is a lot of homes that smell like that up in the desert.  I am becoming immune to it... But the funniest part of all of this, was when she opened the bathroom window instead of the front door.  She told us that she was just about to get into the shower, and told us to hang on.  So we hung on.  She came to the front door, and the rest was history but incase you are wondering, she was just about to get into the shower.  She told us that multiple times, and it was quite humorous.
2.Biggest Blessing or Miracle:  Well since I was in Upland for last monday and last tuesday we were able to go and see the people that we used to teach.  We were able to see the B family, which was the family from the Ivory Coast, and they came to church, and then kind of dropped off the face of the earth after we passed them off to the Elders.  We were able to go and teach them about the Gospel, and about how the Bible says that we need to make sure that we are not pleasing man, but that we are pleasing God, (Galatians 1:10) and then Sister T was able to pull in the Book of Mormon and talk about how King Benjamin told us that when we are in the Service of our Fellow Beings  we are in the Service of God.  It was really good to be able to make that bridge again with the Bible and the Book of Mormon.  They told us that we could come back, but that they didn't want other missionaries back.  It was kinda sad.  
3.Exciting Events: We have a baptism for Brenda this week in the Ranchos ward, and then we have one scheduled for the 22nd of August in the Granite Hills ward!  Brenda is soaking up everything like a sponge.  She is really committed to changing her life, and she even clarified what kind of tea that she can drink, so that she will be 100% obedient.  She bore her testimony on Sunday, and it allowed the ward to really know who she is, but I think that it also really showed her how much of the Gospel that she believes.  I mean she believes it all, but there is just something about bearing your testimony and realizing that you are the one saying it, and those are things that you really believe in.  We are working with the YSA Sisters to get her involved with them.  She is hesitant, but I think that once she realizes that they are just like a family ward, then it will be an easier transition for her. Oneida is getting baptized on the 22, and we are really excited for her!  But not only is she getting baptized, but also her nephew Peter, and her son Greg!  The ward is really happy for her, and for all the changes that they can see that she is making in her life.  She is really relying on her faith, since she has had a really hard life before she started meeting with the missionaries.  She is reading the Book of Mormon every night with her boys, and they actually remember the things that they are reading.  The other day we were at their house, and Jason the 5 year old told me all about where they were in 3 Nephi, and how they read even though their mom wasn't home.  They are the best boys in the world.  When we first met them, they had really long hair, and now they all have missionary style haircuts, and tell us they are going to serve missions.  Blaine the 7 year old turns 8 in November, and he is counting down for when he will be old enough to get baptized.  It is amazing to see what the Gospel can do for someone and their family.
4.Favorite Game: Who is my companion going to be!? When we were sitting in the gym waiting for the news of who was going to be our new companions, all I could think was how much I was going to love her.  I joked with the AP's that I ruined the other 2 people that I trained, because one got sent to Brazil and had a bomb thrown at her, and the other got sick. Haha, but my new companion is Sister T2.  She is from Riverton, Utah. and is the 1st missionary in her family to come out.  She is really great, and I have loved getting to know her.  She is wanting to be 100% obedient, and it is really good because there is always room for improvement.  I love her lots! We have already sent goals of how we are going to have the best transfer ever! I just hope that I break the curse of only having companions for 6 weeks! 
5.Favorite Food: Smores.  We had them 3 times this week.  It must be a popular thing for people to want to make for us.
6.Most Challenging Thing: Studies.  For some reason this week, I have had the hardest time focusing in studies.  I am doing better, but it takes a lot of little prayers through out studies to really be able to focus.
7.Simple Pleasures: Teaching Brenda this last week.  She is so humble, and really wants to become better.  I love her so much, and her desire to change.  Another simple pleasure is going to the D family, and just talking about her life.  She is so interesting, and had taught us so much!
8.Goals: Get Brenda Baptized, and into the YSA!!!
9.Biggest Smile: When President H made little jokes through out the trainer meeting.  It was really funny because he would randomly throw them in, and see if people were paying attention.
10.Biggest Accomplishment: Taught a really good lesson about setting goals to our Ward Mission Leaders Family.
11.Favorite Scripture Story or Ensign Talk Studied: One of my friends was talking about this talk by Elder Christofferson, called Recognizing God's Hands in Our Daily Blessings there was a quote that he said that goes along with this pretty well.  "Though I suffered then, I am grateful now that there was not a quick solution to my problem. The fact that I was forced to turn to God for help almost daily over an extended period of years taught me how to truly pray and get answers to prayer and taught me in a practical way to have faith in God."  I really think that I need to turn to the Lord more, and really put my line in the water, and that will open the gate wider to become the missionary that I want to be at the end of my mission.  The whole talk is right here: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/01/recognizing-gods-hand-in-our-daily-blessings?lang=eng#listen=audio 

12.Favorite Quote: "I was just getting into the Shower."

I love all of you so much! Thanks for the emails, letters, and pictures.  I love being a missionary, and seeing the light of Christ touch each one of them.  Even if people don't listen to us forever, at least they will be thinking of Christ and God for a Second.
Love, Sister Rietz

Waiting for our new companions

Sister T2 and me

No comments:

Post a Comment