Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Mission Impossible Moments, Cancelled Appointments, Struggle Bus, Birthday Cake

1.Funniest things done: This last week we were helping a hoarder clean out her house again, and it was hilarious the amount of things and just the things that she had.  I told her there was enough things to last a zombie apocalypst and she told me that was the theory behind having 8 containers of salt on the kitchen counter.  I also have been dubbed the ULTIMATE Stalker by Candy. I don't know what she is talking about, because I only have people's addresses, phone numbers, and their work schedules memorized... Call me a creeper, but I call it, "I don't want to bike to houses if I KNOW they won't be there, and they will be at work.  It saves time, and we are able to see more people.  Every missionary can attest that this happens to them as well.  But I will gladly be called the ultimate stalker. #mormonstalkerlife #whatcandywhat 
2.Biggest Blessing: So I know Dad and Trevor are going to laugh, but we got locked out of our apartment this morning... We were going to go switch our laundry out, and I always grab the card with our laundry money on it, and the keys. But I somehow forgot to grab the keys.  Then we went outside, and we always lock our door on the inside because we have crazy people that might wanna steal my bike (okay and Sister N's bike) and sell it for scrap metal. Anyways, we got 4 or 5 yards from our door, and I realized I didn't have the key in my hand.  So we went to the Hermana's to borrow their phone and attempt to figure out what to do.  They weren't home.  So we went and switched our laundry and then got talking to this lady who walked in, that only spoke Spanish, and very broken English.  She recognized us as Hermana's and we got talking about the Gospel.  We were amazed she recognized us as missionaries, because we weren't in Proselyting Clothing yet, and I was in shorts and a tee shirt, with NO tag.  I left that in the apartment too. #Strugglebus BUT Sister N used the Portuguese and Spanish that she knew, and I used Bien, and Si and was praying that something Senora Yarno and Senora Jackson taught me in High School would help me out, and Marcela used the VERY broken English that she knew, and patience with our TERRIBLE Spanish, and we managed to get through it like champions.  We told her where the church was, and she said she might come on Sunday because her meetings are on Saturday.  It was cool, because I was able to see Sister N bear testimony to her in Portuguese, and I COULD FEEL THE SPIRIT, even though I had no idea what she was saying. Then she left the Laundry Room.  We were able to get a hold of the Hermana's and called some Elders, and they were able to take our bedroom screen off and I lifted Sister N into the window, onto my bed.  I never leave the window open but I didn't get around to shutting it yet this morning, and all we had to do was get the screen off, and then Elder J was able to reach his arm in, and move the little screw that keeps the window from opening all the way.  It was amazing the way all the things worked out, and that we were able to actually get into our apartment without having to call the mission office for a spare key.  I love the Gospel, and sometimes we don't know why things happen, but I believe we wouldn't have been able to meet Marcela had we not gotten locked out of our apartment. If that makes sense.
3.Latest project: Working with the Ward Council to make sure we are using our time effectively, and that we aren't seeing people that are not the Wards focus right now.  I also am now doing 4 hours of studies.  We went to a meeting and in the meeting they gave permission to the Visa Waiters to use an hour of extra studies to do Language Study. This means that I am able to study the Scriptures for an EXTRA hour every morning.  I am now determined to study from the New Testament, and really look at all the Parables and Miracles Christ performed!
4.Most exciting events: With that extra hour of studies, I was able to bake a cake for our Ward Mission Leader's Birthday.  It was an amazing thing! Graham Cracker on the bottom, strawberries, Yellow cake mix, and buttermilk frosting. With the best dream team dynamic duos you could possibly imagine! We gave him a chocolate cross we got from someone, (how thoughtful right??), and a card and poem the Elders wrote for him.  It was probably the best birthday he has had in a long time.
5. Favorite Game: Zone Soccer.  It is so fun, and always an adventure trying to play with everyone.  People seem to think they should be playing in the World Cup, but it still is a lot of fun, and I love to get competitive, and just go crazy.
6.Favorite Foods: We went to this nice BBQ place, and they had real mashed potatoes, and THEY WERE SO GOOD!!!
7.Most challenging thing: Having all of the set appointments we had planned fall through.  Our Investigators all stood us up, except for 1, and then the people we see on a weekly basis all were not home, or were too busy to see us.  It was no bueno, but with every bad week, there is always a REALLY good week right around the corner.
8. Simple Pleasures: Last week we were playing Ultimate Frisbee, and every time it came near me, or they were throwing it to me, I dropped it.  I would have my hands 100% on the frisbee, and as Elder C would say, "I RUIN EVERYTHING!" It reminded me of when we would play whiffle ball, and I would drop the ball EVERY TIME!

9.Goals: See all the Less-Actives on our list that we are planning on seeing, and if they aren't here then we will just keep trying. Because I am the Ultimate Stalker.
10.Biggest smile: Seeing Sister N testify in Portuguese, and I was able to understand the Spirit, and not what they were saying.
11.Biggest accomplishment: Not wrecking on my bike this week. An Elder wrecked again this last week, he has wrecked almost every week.
12: Favorite Quote: "SISTER RIETZ! CATCH THE FRISBEE! DON'T BE SCARED OF IT!!!"-Elders at Zone Sports

I love you all, and hope you are all doing well.  I love being on a mission. It is the greatest thing in the whole world! 
Love, Sister Rietz


Our Zone loves Soccer at the Park. <3

Why am I always taller than my Companions?

 Happy Birthday to our Ward Mission Leader!

No comments:

Post a Comment